January 14, 2019

How to begin?

I've got Cancer. It'll probably kill me eventually, but not this time. Without knowing, but after listening to past survivors, the outcome of this particular ride will probably result in a fair degree of disfigurement, lots of pain and a necessity to reinvent myself after the treatment's finished.

There's been lots of false starts to this blog. Not sure why. I think maybe because it's important to me that this becomes something that my family, friends and anyone else going down this path finds informative, factual and entertaining.

If I construct this as a Diary I think it will become very emotive, and that's not going to help anyone. If I write it in a "smartarse" way I probably won't be convinced that I'm getting the important messages across. So what to do??

I think I'll probably just wing it and change styles, etc. as the mood takes me. Look at this, three paragraphs in and I haven't actually told you anything.

So... It began about six months ago. I started to get a bit of discomfort under my right eye. I had a small lump removed from my right lower eyelid in 2014 and it was starting to droop and not close properly. My GP referred me to a surgeon at the Soldier's Memorial Hospital in Hawkes Bay who did some great work tightening the eyelid. While there she also biopsied a couple of areas around my eye to check if I had other problems. When the biopsy results came back they were all clear but I was still whingeing, so she referred me back to the Maxiofacial Surgeon who sorted my nose out when I developed an SCC in 2013. (You can read about that journey at www.chrisflaherty.blogspot.com)


Anyway, after a bit of prodding and poking, a couple of MRIs and a CT scan, they found a mass had formed along the Infraorbital Nerve under my right eye. The mass extends along the nerve on both the inside and outside of my cheekbone. So, a biopsy later and it's confirmed as Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Same as my nose back in 2013.


Here's an interesting aside...

The PHO (Primary Health Organisation) in Hawkes Bay are promoting a website called "Manage My Health". You can find it at www.managemyhealth.co.nz They also have an App of the same name that you can download from the App Store or from the Microsoft Store. Anyway, I've been using it for awhile and every time someone adds a report, a lab result or a doctor's comment to my records I get an email from Manage My Health to tell me there are new records. That's how I found out about the biopsy results. I've gotta say, I found it much better than having to present myself to a clinic to have someone try to give me the news without upsetting me, and me wandering off feeling confused and dejected.

Moving on... the wheels are now well and truly moving. Next week we're off to Auckland to meet with a Multi-Disciplinary Team. During and after the meeting they'll be finalizing the plan and locking in the way forward. It sounds as if I'll be having surgery in Auckland, sooner rather than later. Then, after about five weeks of recovery I'll be reporting for radiotherapy. Mind you, this is all subject to change.

How do I feel about all this? 

At the moment, I'm quite calm and, in lots of ways, looking forward to next Spring. I've joined the "Head and Neck Cancer Support Network" and have already received lots of good advice and encouragement from other members. (I've pretty much ignored the negative feedback. Even while I understand why people feel they need to tell me all the bad stuff, I figure I don't need that in my life at the moment.) Denise and I are busy sorting stuff out, to make her life easier going forward, and we're both in a pretty good place at the moment. 

It's the little things. We found a highly recommended lawn mower man today. He's locked in, and it looks like we've found a good gardener as well. We're still to sort out the mail redirection and probably some other little issues that we haven't thought of yet but, in the words of Paul Hogan - "She'll be right"

Thanks for "listening". Looking forward to your comments, and this time I'll try harder to reply to them.

24 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about the diagnosis dad but I'm so glad to have you in my life and world. I know you'll keep being awesome and Denise mum will do just the same. Lots of hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ipshi. We're both doing great. Tell me something you did yesterday that made you smile.

      Delete
  2. What a shock to read your blog. Cancer sucks but time. You and Denise are an amazing couple and together with your family, friends and support network we will rally around. Don't be too proud to ask for help or assistance for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Donna. We've already got you shortlisted going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hell, that's a rough welcome for the new year! I'm sorry you have to go through this again. Ben and I are in West Auckland, so if there's anything you guys need while up here (food, coffee, transport, a wild and windy beach to scream at), give me a bell. Will send Denise my cell number on FB. Much love xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa, thanks for the kind words. Hope you and Ben are looking after yourselves. It’s very likely we’ll need some time out so a catch-up down the track might well be part of the plan.

      Delete
  5. Sending you love and strength Uncle Chris. I love your attitude. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose. Where are you in the world today?

      For those that don't know, Rose is an ambassador for Project MAJI - sorry Rose, don't know if that's the right title and travels all over coordinating Safe Water projects. Check out the charity at www.projectmaji.org

      Delete
  6. Love you Dad! The last time we visited Poppy in Australia I asked him what his best advice for life was and he said "be yourself" However you feel like writing on any particular day will be perfect ❤

    ReplyDelete
  7. In this crazy world we get all sorts of crap thrown at us. How we choose to deal with that crap is how we are defined in our own lives. You are amazing to have an attitude like you do but in saying that, better to laugh in the face of adversity, than lay down in front of it. Bob and I are sad that you are going through this again but you have our support and as much strength as we can give you from across the ditch. We love you all ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful words from wonderful friends. I'm very aware that you and Bob are facing your own challenges with courage, determination and a sense of humour. Thank you for taking time out to send me words of encouragement. To be truthful, I use you and Bob as inspiration and motivation. I always have and to date, I'm sure I haven't thanked you for it. Whenever I start dwelling on the not-so-bright side I think of you guys and it always brings a smile to my face. Thank You.

      Please give our best regards to Dulcie.

      Delete
  8. Well this pretty much sucks big time, Shit and more Shit.
    I know that whatever happens to you each day good or bad you will kick ass. Whilst the outside of my Uncle Chris will be altered , the Inside will always be my wonderful, amazing and love Uncle. Let me know when I need to send a joke. F--- Cancer. Hugs, Cuddles and always much love. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks for the kind words. Enjoyed seeing the pics of you and the boys over summer. Because you mentioned it, you’re now in charge of jokes. If you don’t keep them coming you’ll get a growling. Love to you all.

      Delete
  9. You have great courage.Praying the support of family and friends and the skill of the doctors helps you fight this one. Marleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marleen. Looks like you had fun at the cricket.

      Delete
  10. Chris. Like you don’t know how to say what I want . Thinking of you constantly and sending loving wishes.snd hoping you draw strength from all who love you so you can bear the yuk days ahead. Love Carmel Please let us know date of op.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The above was my test run but could be interpreted as what I think re cancer also. Thanks for the informative blog. Good luck with the battle supporting you and Denise all the way. Sending big hugs will give you some processing and planning time and then be in touch

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found you! Knew you would be writing and I’m coming along for the ride - you being a part of mine meant so bloody much. Is it wrong that whenever I think about you now, I also think about fish pie? So much love, Gabe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! No matter which way you slice it, fish pie is always wrong.

      Delete