March 18, 2019

Cancer - You're outta here!!





So… Tuesday 12th March. That date’s gonna stick. I thought I wouldn’t remember much about it, and I guess I don’t. I can remember the morning prep for the operation, I can remember the ride to the pre-op ward and I can remember moving over to the operating table. And now it’s Wednesday.

At stupid o’clock in the morning I wake up to pins and needles in my fingers and an intense pain at the back of my left heel. What the…?? Seems I’ve got a pressure sore. No biggie, but it’s getting all my attention. So a couple of young bucks in the ICU sort me out and I drift off for awhile. Not for long though. It seems I want to stop breathing and they don’t want me to, so we carry on a running battle with the oxygen tube for the rest of the night. I guess they won.

Now, I’m lying in bed with my head elevated and, even though the Surgeons have been playing with my right eye (which is now covered) I can still see from my left. What I’m looking at is the corner where the wall meets the ceiling, a small window that looks out to the building next door and that’s it. For whatever reason they have me facing into the room rather than out. From my perspective, they’ve got it wrong. I can hear and sense lots of activity behind me but can’t see anything. I’d much rather be looking the other way. I mean, it’s a nonsense really. I’ve just woken up from major surgery and the thing that’s bothering me more and more as the morning wears on is that I can’t see what’s happening behind me.

Get out of bed and stop lying about. It’s late morning and the ICU nurse starts making noises about getting me into a chair. As soon as I hear this I’m trying to get up and the ICU Nurse is trying to slow me down. Anyway, eventually we’re organised and here I am.
 
But wait!!

Bugger – I’m still facing the wrong way.













On the wall in the corner is a Phone/PA system that the nurses use for all sorts of reasons. I hear the receptionist broadcast that there are two visitors for Room 9 – Is it OK if they come in? Apparently, I start yelling at the phone telling her it’s OK and to send them in!

It must have worked ‘cause next thing Denise and Chelle pop in, and everything becomes right with the world.




Did you know there’s an upside to getting an infection in hospital? After a night in a High Dependency Ward with three other snorers, they gave me a single room.

YES!!

PAIN!! – What?? There’s no pain.

Seriously!  There is no pain. There’s a certain amount of discomfort, and the excretion of some very interesting bodily fluids from some unusual places, but honestly – very little to no pain. I guess they’ve got me on the good drugs. I know this won’t be everyone’s experience, but I’ve realised it was the expectation and anticipation of pain that had me worried. Throughout the next three days the worst “pain” I experienced was a Tramadol headache.


   

Who’s this dude??

This was taken on Saturday after Tuesday’s surgery.

So, here’s a question…

How impressed are you with the surgeons, doctors, nurses and all the support staff in Ward 74 at Auckland Hospital?

Want to know how impressed I am?

Watch this space.



 



 

I’m gonna publish this now – but there’s a lot more I want to tell you. Today’s Tuesday – seven days after the surgery.

I’m going home tomorrow.

Do you know, one of the things I’m really looking forward to…

Walking round the garden and feeling the grass under my feet.





Multiculturalism and Kindness walk hand-in-hand


11 comments:

  1. 6 weeks ago my husband had what looks like similar surgery to you, with a similar sized forearm flap on his right face. His right eye even had a matching look. Ward 74 surgeons and nurses are AMAZING. Jim was discharged after 12 days! His arm & leg grafts are still healing, having twice weekly visits by district nurses. Did you have a neck dissection? All the best at home - HOME is the best place for recovery!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, had a neck dissection. The dopplers came out this morning. I hope Jim is and continues to do well. Don’t forget to take some time to care for yourself as well.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy with this.you look amazingly good with minimum swelling. Heal well and enjoy that grass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chris - and we are from HB too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely bloody amazing. You are a man among men. You are a rock....no.....you rock!
    Brilliant to see you again! We were waiting and was updated by Rochelle. Just so please to see you up and almost home. Good on ya 😁😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks guys, but all I did was lie about. I've been unendingly impressed by the people and systems they have in place here for dealing with this kind of shit. I see you've survived your road trip the other day. Hope Big Arse is ok.

      Delete
  5. So glad to read this and its wonderful that you're off home. It looks to me as though the medical staff have done well by you and I hope your recovery continues along a gently sloping path with no major hiccups. Will Rochelle be going with you and Denise to Hastings? Give my love to everyone and give yourself a big hug. Let's know when you're up to phone calls. Have you always had the slanting smile that Dad and I have? Haven't noticed it before. It's very attractive. Keep going amazing brother. Love Marleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Chelle's coming home with us for awhile. I've never noticed a slanted smile before. This one's artificial cause I haven't got any nerves left to control my top lip. I'll be in touch soon.

      Delete
  6. You are amazing and it is so good to see you. Thanks for sharing. Home will be great.!have sent some mail which may need to follow you around NZ. Keep on your wellness path you deserve full recovery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leonie, thanks for the nice words. Home safe and settled down in front of the telly. Hope you and everyone is well and in good spirits.

      Delete