March 25, 2019

Ward 74 - Multiculturalism at it's finest.


As you wander along the corridors of ward 74 in Auckland hospital you notice lots of noticeboards hanging on the walls. A few of the noticeboards are used for in-house notices, KPIs and survey results, but others are used to display thank-you cards and letters. When I first saw these cards, I read a few, and they were all filled with the same sentiment: heartfelt thanks and appreciation for the care and consideration given to patients who had spent time in the ward. At the time, I thought: “that’s nice” and wandered off.

As issues unfolded, I came to spend something over three weeks in this ward, and as the days flowed, I was drawn back to these cards They hang on the walls, largely unnoticed as members of the staff go about their daily duties. Occasionally a visitor might pause and read one or two, in all likelihood, simply out of curiosity. But, over time, and because of my own experience, I came to realize that each of these cards represent a life-altering event for someone.


When each person came to the ward it would have been with a high degree of trepidation, a noticeable level of fear and some degree of confusion. During the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery these feelings would diminish and be replaced with hope, understanding and an increasing level of well-being. And, upon discharge, like me, each person would be overcome with a sense of gratitude and thankfulness and be unable to adequately express these feelings to the staff when leaving.

Week after week I was cared for by a group of people comprised of medical and support staff while I walked a path to remove cancer from my body. Now that I’m home I can look back along this path and recognize that my journey would be impossible without the dedication and expertise of each and every individual member of the staff working in Ward 74.

Every morning I was greeted with one of the smiling faces of the ladies that brought me breakfast. I’m sure they didn’t realize the positive impact they had on me, but their grace and demeanour would always chase away the night’s shadows and, though I might not have been able to smile back on the outside I was definitely smiling on the inside.



I am in awe of the kind and considerate ladies that use this cart. Working quietly and unobtrusively in the background, going about their duties with a quiet dignity, offering a smile and a kind word as they pass. I was fortunate enough to get to know one of these ladies a little. Each morning she arrives at the hospital in darkness and prepares herself for a day of cleaning up the mess left behind by visitors, doctors and nurses, but most particularly, by patients. Her preference is to work nights, but she forgoes this and works through the day so she can get home to spend some time with her children. Without exception she approaches and competes each task with good humour and a brisk efficiency.




Because I was able to move about during the first two weeks of my stay, and because I was in a four-bed ward, I witnessed a lot of the interactions between patients and nurses. Without exception, every interaction was handled with consideration, respect and efficiency. Looking back, I now realise that each, and every, nurse has a fundamental, and largely unrecognised, need to care for other people embedded in their personalities. This basic need to care for others is now the cornerstone of the culture prevalent throughout this ward.
True Healing - Simply Listening

It’s one thing to foster a culture of care and attention for patients, but the diverse group of individuals – comprised of more than ten different ethnicities - that make up the nursing staff take this practice one step further. They apply the same levels of care, consideration, respect and cooperation to each other. Time after time I witnessed staff members helping other staff members, not only when attending patients, but also with the mundane. Whether changing a patient’s dressing or changing a bed; fetching an extra blanket for a patient or refilling a linen cupboard; restocking the dressing drawers or simply getting a paper bag to hang off a meal table – if there is a need, the person on the spot will simply do it. Moreover, there is always a smile and a kind word to go with it. These people are simply, amazing.

How do you thank people such as these?  

I don’t know.

But, one thing I do know: I will never take these people for granted – ever again. I simply feel humbled that I’ve been allowed a glimpse into their world and I will be eternally grateful for the professionalism, knowledge, friendship and care given to me during my time in Ward 74.






7 comments:

  1. Beautifully written Chris - it is so easy to take things and people for granted in this busy world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said and all the best with your recovery Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post. I hope they read it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the Charge Nurse has emailed it to all staff.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Chris. The nursing staff are amazing. I echo your sentiments. Something about the way they are trained gives them an extraordinary set of values.

    ReplyDelete